[Tweeters] North Mason County birding 1/23

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 23 22:08:06 PST 2015

Hey Tweets!

I had an unexpected free day today, and took the morning and early afternoon to bird from Belfair to Tahuya and back.

I started off at Belfair state park, where I added Red Crossbill and Marbled Godwit to my Mason yearlist. The godwit appears to have come back for a third winter and was picked up a week or so back by the Denny's.

In a clear-cut near Wildberry Lake, I found at least a dozen Wilson's Snipe enjoying some of the soggy spots. Driving back along the shore road, there were Red-throated and Common Loons, Western, Horned and Red-necked Grebes, both Goldeneyes, Greater Scaup, Surf and White-winged Scoters, Double-crested and Pelagic cormorants, and a pair of Harlequin Ducks.

Theler was my last stop, where I found a Hutton's Vireo to make it 83 for the county year list!

Happy birding!

Tim Brennan
Renton
Www.masoncountybirding.blogspot.com