[Tweeters] 2nd Call for Volunteers - Ground-truthing bird-finding guide

Jim Danzenbaker jdanzenbaker at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 10:44:23 PST 2015

Hi Tweeters!

This is a follow up to Jane Hadley's request for volunteers to ground truth
several areas that are included in the upcoming revision to the "Birder's
Guide to Washington". A big thank you to all who volunteered - users of
the book will be forever grateful for your efforts.

We have one final section that needs a volunteer:

The Yakima Training Center (pages 309-313 in the current "Birder's Guide to
Washington") - a high clearance vehicle is recommended based on current
weather conditions

If you can volunteer for this section, we need ground truthing completed by
February 15 but sooner if you can! If you are able to do this, let me know
and the map and text for this area will be forwarded to you.

A few notes about ground truthing:

Ground-truthing involves driving and/or walking the routes as described in
the text and making sure that the descriptions given are accurate. Such
questions as are the place names correct, are the driving directions easy
to follow, are the distances given somewhat accurate (I don't worry about
minor variances since odometers do vary), is the habitat as described.
Among the things that have been discovered during ground-truthing: users
are directed to turn left at US-101 but there's now a "no left turn" sign
there; a campground is called Clover Springs but in fact it's Clover Flats
Campground; users are told to drive 0.4 miles to a state park entrance, but
in fact the distance is 1.8 miles; users are told to turn right onto Canyon
Road, but the road is actually called Canyon Drive; users find that a
Discover Pass is required but the text said nothing about it; the text said
bathrooms were available but they were not, a road is described as gravel,
when now it is asphalt, etc. You don't need to check to make sure that the
birds listed for the region are accurate since the book covers all seasons.

Thanks Tweeters!

Jim Danzenbaker
WOS Board Member
Battle Ground, WA