[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 1/28/15

scrubjay323 at aol.com scrubjay323 at aol.com
Wed Jan 28 19:05:20 PST 2015

Tweets,

Today 50 of us walked Nisqually under cloudy skies in mild temperatures. There was little wind and no rain so it was a pleasant day. We had a 14.0 high tide at 11:49.

Need less to say we had water everywhere and the water fowl were spread out, but we had a good mix of species including several COMMON MERGANSERS and two female BARROWS GOLDENEYE on the Nisqually River.

The GREAT HORNED OWLS were out today with two young being seen by the early birds and again later in the day. I went by the nest tree twice and only saw the adult keeping watch. Still it is nice to know the young are moving about.

At the end of the walk at the visitor center there was a WILSON'S SNIPE by the pond. Apparently it has been in that area for a couple of weeks.

We had 21 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE on the new pond out near the start of the estuary boardwalk and had a pair of BALD EAGLES in the nest tree across McAllister Creek. They were in addition to the 20 or so BALD EAGLES along the Nisqually River.

For the day I had 48 species and now have 71 for the year. New for the year was BARROWS GOLDENEYE, HAIRY WOODPECKER, and COMMON RAVEN.

Mammals seen were EASTERN GRAY SQUIRREL, HARBOR SEAL, CALIFORNIA SEA LION, and BLACK-TAILED DEER.

Until next week.....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at aol.com
Lacey, WA