[Tweeters] Neah Bay trip, Jan. 27-29

bruce paige BBPaige at nikola.com
Fri Jan 30 07:43:38 PST 2015

Since I've spent hours standing in cow poo up to the ankles looking for (and finding) a Rusty Blackbird this month around Sequim, I thought it only natural to head for Neah Bay and stand in the mist of the wastewater fountains at the sewage plant looking for the county's first Tufted Duck first found by Brad Waggoner on the 25th. In 2 1/2 days, I walked around the "ponds" 11 times without success. I tried first thing in the morning, mid-day and last daylight; nada! One thing I found out; the ducks and particularly Ring-necked Ducks were quite jumpy and leave quickly if they spot you. Perhaps it is left over from the hunting season, the result of constant human presence at the plant, or because offrequent pass-overs by eagles and Peregrines, but the duck population at the plant does vary enormously from hour to hour. I think the Tufted may be gone, but maybe not.

in any event, the Orchard Oriole is still around at the hummingbird feeders at 580 Bayview along with 2 Orange-crowned Warblers. I also found a Short-eared Owl at dark in the Wa'atch River Valley, plus a Horned Grebe, Yellow-billed Loon and White-throated Sparrow around town.

See you out there,

Bruce Paige
Sequim

spruceak at yahoo.com