[Tweeters] Red Crossbills all over the place

Rachel Lawson rwlawson at q.com
Mon Mar 2 19:28:39 PST 2015

On Sunday, 3/1, Mike Donahue, Vicki King, and I took Tom Simpson, a
Birdingpal visiting from California, up to the Skagit and Samish areas to
look for some of his target birds. One of his targets was Red Crossbill,
sometimes a hard bird to find when you want it, so we were very pleased to
find a small flock of crossbills when we stopped at the Rexville Grocery.
We continued on to the Bayview State Park campground, where we found another
flock. Then, in search of seabirds, we stopped at Washington Park in
Anacortes, where we come across yet ANOTHER flock. (There were good numbers
of Marbled Murrelets and other alcids offshore.)

This morning, 3/2, I took Tom to Discovery Park in Seattle, and we heard
crossbills in at least three places in the park. I have never found so many
crossbills in such a short time, but there were good cone crops at all of
these locations. It was great to see and hear so many of these lovely
birds!

By the way, if you have never heard of Birdingpals, go to the website to
learn more. You can volunteer to take visiting birders out in the field,
and find birders to do the same for you when you travel. I have had many
enjoyable and productive Birdingpal experiences over the years.

http://www.birdingpal.org/

Rachel Lawson

Seattle

rwlawson at q.com