[Tweeters] Okanogan Birding and Updated Photos

Khanh Tran khanhbatran at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 4 15:13:03 PST 2015

Hi Tweets:

We spent several hours birding the Okanogan Highlands and the birding quality was great. Most of the snow has melted below the 4000 feet level but most of the wintering specialties still remain in the usual spots. We looked hard for the Northern Pygmy Owls but found none:( It was also nice to find a herd of elk along Mary Ann Creek Rd and stumbled upon a Great Gray just as we were about to give up and leave!

Golden Eagle-several birds near Chesaw

Great Horned Owl-several birds along Havillah Rd

Northern Saw-Whet Owl-a great visual of a roosting bird

Great Gray Owl-a regal bird found near Sno-Park. Almost gave up, and I luckily stumbled upon one, perched low in a conifer and blending in well. We all sat down in awe and admired in 30 F temps with sun on our backs. It got our hearts pumping and it felt balmy and delightful!

Ruffed Grouse -several birds feeding along Davies and Nealey Rd. Great looks of these beautiful fancy chickens.

Williamson's Sapsucker-drumming birds near Davies

Snow Buntings-a flock of 75 birds along Grange Rd. Always a treat to watch these Escher snowbirds fly and swirl.

Common Redpolls-a flock of a dozen birds along Mary Ann Creek Rd with great views of a colorful male with lots of pink blush.

Pine Grosbeaks-several flocks along Mary Ann Creek and Pontiac Ridge Rd. Several lovely males and russet forms in good light.

Gray Crowned Rosy-finches-40 spumoni snow birds still lingering along Nealey Rd

We found a big flock of Bohemian Waxwing, roughly 1000 birds, along Hwy 97/172 Junction near Monse. They were buzzing loudly and 'fly catching' for insects. It was a very cool to see these immaculate beauties in large numbers.

It appears that the previously reported Snowy Owls near Lamoine, (along F/11th Rd) have dispersed with the lack of snow cover. All of the snow has melted here, leaving them little protection for camouflage or for staying cool. We did not find any despite seeing up to 4-6 birds a couple of weeks ago.

The weather was gorgeous and we had a fantastic time!

Here are some recent photos from the last couple of weeks birding in the Okanogan and Wallowas areas.

Sorry for the delay but it has been crazy busy for me but life is swell and sweet:) Hope you will enjoy the photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23662496@N02/

Peace, love and good birding,

Khanh