[Tweeters] Magnuson Park PGCH

Scott Ramos lsr at ramoslink.info
Fri Mar 6 21:01:25 PST 2015

During my walk today, I ran across a new species for the park, in fact, one that I have not seen documented locally: the Pacific Golden Chickadee (Poecile aureus). Related to the more common Black-capped Chickadee, this variant is known to take on a Spring plumage of color not unlike an Orange-crowned Warbler:

https://picasaweb.google.com/104613265151815506340/PacificGoldenChickadee#6123350486861570226 <https://picasaweb.google.com/104613265151815506340/PacificGoldenChickadee#6123350486861570226>

From summer through winter the PGCH is indistinguishable from its more common variant. As the two forms overlap considerably in range, intergrades are expected:

https://picasaweb.google.com/104613265151815506340/PacificGoldenChickadee#6123350330238135538 <https://picasaweb.google.com/104613265151815506340/PacificGoldenChickadee#6123350330238135538>

This particular group was spotted in the willows near Frog Pond and may persist for a few more days of catkin development.

https://picasaweb.google.com/104613265151815506340/PacificGoldenChickadee# <https://picasaweb.google.com/104613265151815506340/PacificGoldenChickadee#>

Scott Ramos
Seattle