[Tweeters] Olympic Bird Fest

Boekelheide bboek at olympus.net
Sat Mar 7 12:06:50 PST 2015

Hello, Tweeters,

The Olympic BirdFest is coming up April 8 - 14, and you’re all invited. Details and registration are on-line at www.olympicbirdfest.org <http://www.olympicbirdfest.org/>

Here are some trips that Tweeters folks might be particularly interested in:

1. Once again this year, we have a pre-festival two-day birding trip to Neah Bay on April 8-9. It includes a pelagic trip out of Neah Bay and birding excursions around the best spots on the Makah Reservation. As you likely know, Neah Bay is an amazing birding spot, where anything is possible. Considering the distance to Neah Bay, the package includes two nights lodging (April 7 & 8), two breakfasts and lunches, and a special dinner for our group. Website for the Neah Bay trip: http://www.olympicbirdfest.org/neah-bay-birding/ <http://www.olympicbirdfest.org/neah-bay-birding/>

2. The main festival occurs Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, Apr 10 - 12. We have several field trips to some of the best birding spots on the north Olympic Peninsula, including half-day and full day trips. There is also a nature photography class and a bird drawing class for artsy folks. On Friday evening, Apr 10, we have a special presentation of live raptors by the Northwest Raptor Center, and on Saturday, Apr 11, two trips to a Waterfowl Breeding Sanctuary, where you can see close-up views of ducks in spectacular breeding plumage, including eiders and Smew. The festival banquet occurs Saturday evening, Apr 11, at the Jamestown S’Klallam Tribe’s fantastic Red Cedar Room overlooking Sequim Bay. On Sunday there is a cruise around Protection Island. Sorry, the owl prowls are filled up.

3. Sunday through Tuesday, Apr 12 - 14, is a three-day cruise through and around the San Juan Islands on Glacier Spirit, a very comfortable boat run by Puget Sound Express. We stay two nights at Roche Harbor Resort on San Juan Island, with full days on the boat exploring the area and looking for wildlife, including a lunch stop at Sucia Island and return trip through Deception Pass. For more info:
http://www.olympicbirdfest.org/san-juan-cruise/ <http://www.olympicbirdfest.org/san-juan-cruise/> and http://www.pugetsoundexpress.com/whale-watching-and-wildlife-tours/audubon/ <http://www.pugetsoundexpress.com/whale-watching-and-wildlife-tours/audubon/>

Best thing yet, all proceeds from the festival support education programs at the Dungeness River Audubon Center, a very worthwhile cause!

Hope to see you,
Bob Boekelheide
Dungeness