[Tweeters] Bald Eagle Threesome - Brown's Point

Carol Schulz carol.schulz50 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 10:33:23 PDT 2015

Hi Tweets:
On a RAS field trip yesterday, Sat Mar 7 led by Steve Johnson, we saw Bald Eagle (BAEA) behavior that was new to us. One of our group heard an eagle commotion, and we watched as an adult BAEA flew onto the top of a fir tree at Brown's Point in north Tacoma. Immediately another adult BAEA flew into the tree and they copulated for a few seconds. Both eagles settled down on top of the tree side by side. Within a few minutes a THIRD adult BAEA flew in and he copulated with one of the eagles. Then the three adults perched side by side next to each other in the top of the tree in the bright sunshine.
Sandra Embry took a nice photo of the 3 perched closely together in the fir tree. Has anyone else ever heard of this? A threesome? The eagles were still perched together up on top of the tree when we left about 12:30pm.
We had a beautiful, warm, sunny day of local birding yesterday. There was no fog in the morning, and on our first stop we saw and heard at least 33 species at Lake Fenwick in Kent. As we parked at the swim beach, a number of Varied Thrushes were singing. A highlight at Fenwick was observing a gravid female Anna's Hummingbird feeding low in the bushes close to us at the boatlaunch entry road. We watched as she settled on a nest about 15 feet up an alder tree. This nest was not shallow at all. It resembled a drinking glass w/ vertical 2 inch sides. After a little while she was out foraging again, returning to the nest a couple of more times. In that same area we saw 2 Redbreasted Sapsuckers, and one or two Varied Thrushes. We saw 4 very-active male and female Wood Ducks in the shorter trees in back of the lagoon.
At Weyerhaueser Pond, only one Redhead remained. There were about 18 Ruddy Ducks in breeding plumage, and 4 Lesser Scaup. I heard a distant Hutton's Vireo singing in the woods across the pond. A few Cackling Geese were on the grass to the north of the pond.
Our fairly short stops on salt water yielded no Alcids except Pigeon Guillemots. We saw at least 3 Common Loons.
When I got home to Des Moines and got out of the car a beautiful calling male Red Crossbill flew over my head and landed in the top of a neighbor's fir tree. A yellow female flew in close to him. They flew off in a few minutes. It was sunny and the temp was 62 degrees. Wow, what a perfect spring day and very-nice field trip.
Yours, Carol Schulz
Des Moines