[Tweeters] Fill Update

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Sun Mar 8 14:41:51 PDT 2015

Jane, thanks for the Fill-in.

I assume some of you remember when the Union Bay Natural Area was still Montlake Fill and was the best place around Seattle for shorebirds. The open habitat consistently attracted migrants from eastern Washington, so Sagebrush Sparrows, Loggerhead Shrikes, and Lewis’s Woodpeckers were among the visitors that might turn up on a spring day, as well a variety of open-country migrants such as pipits and longspurs. Those days are no more, with the woody vegetation spreading and growing.

It seems such a shame that a mitigation effort couldn’t very simply include opening up the south end of the Fill again to make the situation we all loved. Instead, more woody vegetation will be provided, turning what used to be an exciting birding spot more and more into a woodland. Woodlands are great, and trees are great, but can’t we preserve just a bit of open country in our urban milieu? Meadow and prairie habitat with scattered freshwater ponds is of tremendous value to wildlife and to nature-lovers, and we already don’t have enough of it. What a shame to be losing still more, as both the UBNA and Magnuson Park become more and more wooded.

Dennis Paulson
Seattle