[Tweeters] Franklin's Gull still in Olympia

festuca at comcast.net festuca at comcast.net
Mon Mar 9 18:34:48 PDT 2015

Hi folks,

At about 1 p.m. this afternoon, I saw the immature Franklin's Gull at low tide in the mudflats of East Bay, just below the intersection of East Bay Drive, and Glass Ave. NE. It was by itself on the flats, although there were about 3 dozen Mew Gulls feeding nearby.

About 1/2 hour later, I was walking back past the LOTT Sewage Treatment Plant (at - of all places - *Franklin* Street and B Ave. NE), and found that the Franklin's Gull had relocated to the SW pond with a half-dozen Mew Gulls. I had to view the bird through the chain-link fence, but thankfully the breeze was blowing away from me!

Photos at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S22263846

I'm always bemused how often I've found a good bird at a landfill or sewage pond . . . .

Cheers,
Jon. Anderson, Olympia
festuca at comcast dot net