[Tweeters] Eurasian Wigeon -North America breeding?

Bob Sundstrom ixoreus at scattercreek.com
Mon Mar 9 21:21:14 PDT 2015

Hi, Jack,

There seem to be a few particular American Wigeon flocks in the PNW that in winter have a high proportion of Eurasians mixed in, especially at Samish Flats and Roberts Bank in B.C. I've seen as many as 50 in one flock on the Samish Flats some winters, many as male/female pairs. But I don't think this is necessarily evidence of North American breeding. On the Asian side, I'm still looking for my first American Wigeon in Japan after leading three winter tours there and seeing thousands of Eurasian Wigeons.

Bob