[Tweeters] Acorn woodpeckers remain in Lakewood

KEN valvb1 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 10 16:24:28 PDT 2015

Although no one has reported seeing the acorn woodpeckers recently (at least, not that I've seen), I nonetheless decided to stop by the oak grove adjacent to Mountain View Cemetery today on my way back from Olympia.  I found two acorn woodpeckers, both high up near the tops of oak trees.  They were active, flying from one tree to another, never staying long in one spot.  They did not call nor did they drum, so it was a bit of a challenge to locate them.  Also present were at least 6 scrub jays, calling and flying all over the oak grove.  I did not see or hear white-breasted nuthatches.  I wonder if the woodpeckers plan to hang around?
Ken Brunner
Kent