[Tweeters] A birdy walk at Carkeek

Josh Hayes coralliophila at live.com
Fri Mar 13 15:14:39 PDT 2015

Hi tweets,

I had some spare time today so strolled down the canyon at Carkeek Park here in Seattle to the water and back up to the little parking lot behind the QFC that's on Holman Rd.

It was VERY BIRDY INDEED, with everyone out and about, foraging, singing, gathering nest materials, and all that jazz. There is an adorable little bushtit nest literally a foot off the path (not real sanguine about their fledging chances, but it's very cute), and a bushtit nervously waited until I had stepped about six feet back before zipping in and adding his/her contribution and zipping off again. Lots of song sparrows, and chickadees, and golden-crowned kinglets are singing up a storm. Creepers are, naturally, creeping.

There was a large flock of crows yelling and screaming and flapping around; I assumed there would be some hapless hawk or eagle getting mobbed, but apparently not. Just noisy crows. I'm guessing it's something to do with pairing off, some sort of vaguely lekking behavior? Anyone know?

And finally, down near the bluff, there was a small bird singing up a storm, a complex song full of "twits" and "wheedle wheedles" and for the life of me I could not recognize the song until I saw the bird singing it: a ruby-crowned kinglet. I don't think I've ever heard one SING before.

All in all a lovely little walk, and all the birds seemed too preoccupied with bird things to worry about the person lumbering around, so I hardly even needed binoculars.

Cheers,

Josh Hayes in North Seattle (Licton Springs)