[Tweeters] Vashon Sandhill Cranes (YB Loon still around, too)

Ed Swan edswan at theswancompany.com
Mon Mar 16 10:22:51 PDT 2015

This last weekend Henry Perrin photographed three Sandhill Cranes in a
pasture near Pt. Robinson on Maury Island (part of Vashon Island). Another
was seen flying over Quartermaster Harbor two weeks ago by Anne Bell. These
are only the eighth and ninth sightings for Vashon over the last thirty
years.

Gary Shugart saw the Yellow-billed Loon again on the 8th in the usual area
south of the Tramp Harbor fishing pier. I couldn't find it unfortunately
for some bird tour clients last week because they came just as the weather
changed and we kept getting some serious rain. We did see the three common
loon species from the exercise bikes about a quarter mile south of the
fishing pier. Many of the Common Loons were in interesting variations of
plumage heading toward their breeding colors. We made up for missing the YB
Loon with some compliant Virginia Rails that responded to just spishing and
actually showed themselves for a moment. There's some wet fields where
Monument Road runs into Quartermaster Drive that have the rails on both
sides of Monument Rd.

Violet-green Swallows came back last Friday, about a week early for Vashon.

Ed

Ed Swan

Nature writer and guide

www.theswancompany.com <http://www.theswancompany.com/>