[Tweeters] more damage @ Eide Rd

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Mon Mar 16 15:21:49 PDT 2015

Hi Tweets,

On Friday, the 13th of March, and on through the weekend, I received several messages from some birder/photographers, regarding more habitat destruction that has occurred at the Eide Rd. site, particularly involving trees, shrubs and brush that the Long-eared Owls had been known to use, within a short distance from the parking area. Photos were taken by Pat Forster, and may be viewed through the link at the end of this post. Some other photos were taken by Sammy Catiis of some of the teenagers and their trucks who were on the site in the afternoon and whose actions seemed to involve pouring either dark oil or dark paint, on the ground in the area. Sammy reported the teens to WDFW and she has received a thankyou from Belinda Rotton, the WDFW officer whose territory includes the Eide Rd./Leque Is. site.

But as to who did the cutting, breaking and pushing over of the trees around the pine tree, and the tangle that the owls used to roost in, as well as some curly-branched trees (to the west of the pine tree) on which one of the owls often alighted, I can only say that I don't know. Fingers have been pointed at a homeless man, drug addicts, photographers, birders, site monitors for WDFW, teenagers and other general visitors to the site.

The whole thing is a big mess and I don't think there is anything much to be gained by further exchange of secondhand information, at least on the Tweeters site. But if you would like more specifics from the communications I received, or have some questions, please contact me offlist.

Not sure there is much we can do to avert more bad chapters in the continuing saga of that once-wonderful recreation site. If any of you have info or ideas that might be helpful, please let me or WDFW know.

Humanity - a pretty sorry species, some of the time... :-\

Here's the link to Pat's photos (and one of mine, of the pine tree, as of Feb. 24, the last time I was out there). The pic of the LEOW on the pine tree, on Feb. 2 :

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk9kvsKH

Barb Deihl
barbdeihl at comcast.net