[Tweeters] seabirds down?

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Mon Mar 16 17:00:40 PDT 2015

Hello, tweets.

I’ve been going out just about every week to some high-quality birding area in the Puget Sound region, as I’ve had friends visiting who wanted to go out and was actually able to score some sunny weekend days. But everywhere I go I have the feeling there are fewer seabirds than usual.

I was appalled at the low numbers of birds in general (except of course Double-crested Cormorant) when visiting Blaine/Semiahmoo two weekends in a row. I was shocked at how few birds were visible in an hour spent at Point Wilson in Port Townsend (of course my memories go back 45 years). I have scarcely seen a Red-necked Grebe all winter, and they are usually common at Edmonds.

With unusually high temperatures to the north of us, I was wondering if a lot of birds just aren’t coming south, and I thought it would be worth getting the opinions of others. It will be interesting to see what the Christmas Bird Counts tell us.

Has anyone had similar thoughts? Best that you have been birding actively in the area for 10 years or more, so you have some perspective. I’ve been doing it for 46 years.

Dennis Paulson
Seattle, WA