[Tweeters] NCAS monthly meeting 3/24 at 7 PM SWANS of Winter

Twink Coffman wilber4818 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 08:18:28 PDT 2015

March 24 at 7 PM at Whatcom Museum
General Membership Meeting with Martha Jordan
Swans of Winter

Trumpeter swans, the largest waterfowl in the world, have been brought back
from the brink of extinction and once again grace our skies and waterways.
They trumpet the success of our conservation efforts and continue to call
us to action to protect farmland and wetlands. Join Martha Jordon,
well-known swan biologist, to learn about the life history and biology of
Washington’s native trumpeter and tundra swans. The program will include
new information on the migration patterns of tundra swans and how the North
Cascades serve as a link connecting the west and east sides of our state
for both species of swans. Martha will shed some light on the problems and
controversies these birds face on their wintering grounds and what is
needed to ensure their future. Get updated on the swan lead poisoning
die-off, habitat issues and more. Martha will share some excellent photos
that help clarify the difficult identification of these swans and will
provide free swan identification pamphlets at the meeting. Discover ways in
which you can contribute to our understanding of swans in Washington just
by doing what you already do outdoors.

Martha Jordan has a degree in Wildlife Science from Oregon State
University. She began to look at swans in the late 1970s as an independent
citizen, and by 1984 had contributed much information to state and federal
agencies on the status of trumpeter swans in Washington State, including
the first swan management plan. She was a long time board member of The
Trumpeter Swan Society (TTSS) and currently chairs the Washington Swan
Stewards, the local TTSS group.
Always on the 4th Tuesday of the month:
March 24, 7pm at the Whatcom Museum
(in the Rotunda Room of the Old City Hall building)
FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.......
check our website at www.northcascadesaudubonsociety.org
--
happy birding