[Tweeters] Edmonds Marsh Eurasian green-winged teal 3-21-15

Bill Anderson billandersonbic at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 22 00:53:29 PDT 2015

Saturday afternoon I spotted a male Eurasian green-winged teal swimming in the small pool created during high water just off the boardwalk between the #1 and #2 viewing platforms. There had been previous reports of sightings of the bird at the marsh. According to Sibley's, it is an occasional visitor to North America.
Comparing the Eurasian green-winged teal to a nearby  American green-winged teal, the Eurasian bird had no vertical stripe, but it had a thin horizontal stripe running the length of its upper body. The stripes which outline the blue-green band on the head of the Eurasian bird were much more pronounced than those of the American bird.

Sibley's says that Eurasian birds from Asia are slightly larger than the American birds. I thought it looked larger, but that may have been because it was closer. It was not as shy as its American cousin, for it remained in the pool while several of us stood nearby on the boardwalk photographing it. The American birds usually do not come that close to the boardwalk or walkway and if they do, will swim away when approached.

My photos can be seen by scrolling down page 18 of this link:http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showthread.php?11497-Wildlife-of-Edmonds-WA-2015/page18
  Bill Anderson; Edmonds, WA. USA