[Tweeters] Ferry Co notes from this weekend: Moose, Pacific Loon and Bewick's Wrens

Stefan Schlick greenfant at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 22 21:16:46 PDT 2015

The highlight of this weekend's trip to Ferry Co was non-avian: A Moose. This was in the Sanpoil Valley along SR21, about 1mi south of the Scatter Creek turnoff. It was clambering through a wet meadow before finally crossing SR21. I shared the sighting with the amazed property owner, he said that he sees moose in the area (mostly nearly McMann Ck) every 2 years or so.
Otherwise noteworthy was a winter-plumaged Pacific Loon in the Sanpoil arm, seen from about 0.5mi north of the Keller Ferry, and 2 Bewick's Wrens (one with a Rock Wren off Swawilla Rd just before it drops down into the basin; the other one at SR21 & Bridge Ck Rd).
Many Barrow's Goldeneyes were at Curlew Lake SP and also at Mud Lake.
2 Northern Pygmy-Owls were hooting incessantly at Sherman Pass. Other than a single Chestnut-backed Chickadee, I found nothing unusual, but there was a little too much snow to walk in. Red Crossbill, Gray Jay, Clark's Nutcracker, Pileated Woodpecker, Golden Eagle, ...
In Republic, I found House Sparrows in 2 places. No Eurasian Collared Doves though, even though I did get a few Rock Pigeons near the STP. American Crows are running rampant in and around town.
Stefan SchlickHillsboro, OR