[Tweeters] Mason County 10/1

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 1 21:40:38 PDT 2015

Heya Tweets!

A blog post is probably a ways off, but here's the recap of the day. I started at 6ish at Camp Spillman on the Tahuya Peninsula. I had Northern Pygmy and Barred Owls, 5 billion Varied Thrushes, and a Ruffed Grouse among other birds (the grouse was 170 for the year). I finally got out to Dewatto, which I always say with Keanu Reaves voice, then made my way over to Tahuya. On the way, I stopped at Tee Lake and had Northern Shoveler (171) and Redhead (172).

At Belfair State Park, I picked up Cackling Goose for the year (173) while also finding a nice mix of ducks and gulls, as well a Merlin and Northern Harrier.

The final new bird of the day came on the form of three Short-billed Dowitchers (174), mixed in with three Long-billed. I'll thank Marv Breece for this one as he forced me to look at the tertials on a Short-billed here in Renton a month or so back. For the ones I had and for as close as they were, it was pretty easy to sort them out using that field mark.

There were a lot of winter arrivals: a Ruby-crowned Kinglet at Theler, dozens of Golden-crowned Sparrows at Hunter Farms, and grebes (red-necked and western) in Hood Canal.

Just over 70 species for the day.

Still no coots.

Tim--Sent from my iPhone