[Tweeters] Snohomish County Great Egrets 10-4-15

Bill Anderson billandersonbic at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 5 09:28:57 PDT 2015

There have been several recent reports of great egrets in the Puget Sound area.  Two different birds may have been spotted Sunday (10/4/15) by me and a friend while we were out taking bird photos.
My distant  shots of an egret taken about 12:30pm at the Big Ditch north of Stanwood can be seen by scrolling down this page:http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showthread.php?12794-Northern-Bird-Trip-10-4-15

My friend's closeup photos of an egret taken later in the afternoon at the Everett marina can be seen here.  Same bird as the one I photographed?
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?19-Wildlife-and-Animals

Another person photographed an (the?) egret at the Everett marina the previous day, although he initially mistook it for a crane:
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showthread.php?12787-crane

I think other reports have recently been filed on Tweeters of great egrets in the Puget Sound area.   Previously I had only seen great egrets down south in the vicinity of Lake Vancouver and Ridgefield NWR.   Any thoughts/speculation as to how many egrets may currently be in the Puget Sound area and why the present invasion?   Have prior incursions of the bird this far north occurred in the past?   Bill Anderson; Edmonds, WA. USA