[Tweeters] Westport Pelagic Trip, October 4, 2015

Bruce LaBar blabar at harbornet.com
Mon Oct 5 16:46:55 PDT 2015

After canceling Saturday’s trip because of high swells and wind, we were able to re-schedule for this past Sunday. This was a great move because the weather was fantastic. A clear, star filled sky in the early morning, a beautiful sunrise, easy crossing of the bar and great sea conditions all day made for a great trip for twenty birders. With many of the Arctic breeders having already migrated pass Washington, we were still able to have several highlights throughout the day.
Three Flesh-footed Shearwaters and six Short-tailed Shearwaters were life birds for many on the boat. We also had three fly-by Bullers’s Shearwaters that several observers got to see. Jaeger species were slim, but we still had three Pomarine Jaegers and two South Polar Skuas.
Mammal highlights include: 2 whale sightings that we couldn’t identify and several Northern Fur Seals.

For total numbers check our website in a few days. We have one more trip scheduled for next Saturday, which is sold out. On behalf of Westport Seabirds, a huge thank you to all the birders and seafarers that supported us this year. Hope to see you next year!

Leaders for this past trip were Scott Mills, Michael Donahue and me. Phil and Chris Anderson were the boat personal and spotters.

Birds

Surf Scoter-39
White-winged Scoter-73
Green-winged Teal-4
Pacific Loon-12
Common Loon-4
Black-footed Albatross-13
Northern Fulmar-165
Pink-footed Shearwater-481
Flesh-footed Shearwater-3
Buller’s Shearwater-3
Sooty Shearwater-881
Short-tailed Shearwater-6
Fork-tailed Storm-Petrel-1
Brandt’s Cormorant-3
Double-crested Cormorant-38
Pelagic Cormorant-35
Brown Pelican-206
Marbled Godwit-700 (in boat basin)
Black Turnstone-2 (in boat basin)
Least Sandpiper-30 (in boat basin)
phalarope sp. – 2
South Polar Skua-2
Pomarine Jaeger-3
Common Murre-230
Cassin’s Auklet-19
Rhinoceros Auklet-13
Black-legged Kittiwake-4
Heermann’s Gull-7
Ring-billed Gull-1
Mew Gull-1
Herring Gull-436
Thayer’s Gull-4
Western/Glaucous-winged Gull-311
Peregrine Falcon-1 (in flight several miles from shore)

Bruce LaBar
Tacoma, WA