[Tweeters] Mount Salmo birding

Bob rflores_2 at msn.com
Tue Oct 6 06:43:21 PDT 2015

First off thanks to Tom Mansfield for the posting and getting back to me with details.

A friend ( Richard Redmond from Bandera Texas) of mine and l arrived Sunday night at Ione we went up the Mt and arrived 1/4 mile up from the Salmo pass at 10:30 pm. This location is well described in the Washington Birding guide. We played a tape of boreal owl and had an immediate response. Two birds came in one very close above us.

The next morning we were back up the hill and spent the day and follow nd all of our target bird for Richard except spruce grouse. Here is our list.

Pine sisken 205
Ruby- crowned kinglet 4
Gray jay 2
Red crossbill 8 ( have no idea where they were?)
Common raven 3
Sharp-shinned hawk 1
Dusky grouse 5
Red-breasted nuthatch 9
Pileated woodpecker 1
White-winged crossbill 8
Mountain chickadee 20
Northern flicker 1
Northern pygmy owl 1
Casin finch 2
Hermit thrush 1
Dark-eyed junco 16
Clark nutcracker 8
Fox sparrow 1
Spruce grouse (seen by me only)
Golden-crowned kinglet 1
Stellar's jay 2
Boreal chickadee 2
Northern Goshawk 1
American three-toed woodpecker 2

Also seen on drive in and out near Sullivan Lake

Ruffed grouse 8
Wild turkey 49
Western grebe 1

All the high mt species were seen on the road to the lookout tower. One 3 toed was seen at the trail head parkinglot.

Bob Flores
Ridgefield, WA