[Tweeters] Red-Breasted Sapsucker in Seattle last week

Maureen E. Ellis mj2ephd at uw.edu
Tue Oct 6 16:17:32 PDT 2015

Northern flickers, red-shafted morph, visit my suet feeder [usually has
both Bug Bites@ suet and Simply@ suet] almost daily. After living here 16
years, only within the past few weeks have I actually seen red-breasted
sapsuckers in my area. One or more foraged in a large tree nearest my deck
where I have seed, suet, H2O and sugar-water feeders. My home is an
end-unit, top floor [4 stories up] condominium on the edge of Seahurst
forest some 11 miles S/SW of downtown Seattle. All my windows look out
into the forest canopy. I was able to get some quite nice photos of the
sapsucker. Tree peck-hole patterns in the forest suggest that sapsuckers
have been nearby for years. Finally nice to see one!

Cheers,
Maureen E Ellis
On the edge of Seahurst Park, SW central King County,
Seattle region, WA state, USA