[Tweeters] RBSS

Christine Southwick clsouth at u.washington.edu
Wed Oct 7 10:54:46 PDT 2015

Cavity nesters need trees large enough to nest in.
Flickers and Pileated need larger trees than Hairy, Red-breasted Sapsuckers, Downy, chickadees, etc.

Cottonwoods are large enough for excavations by flickers and pileated, and thereby make nesting sites for other birds and other creatures which cannot make their own nesting cavities. These wildlife trees are called SNAGs.

The problem arises when a snag is located too near a house.
A hazard tree does not need to be taken all the way down. The bottom 20 feet or so still makes good habitat for woodpeckers, and takes away the danger to most home owners.

Washington State Fish and Wildlife has an excellent entry on the importance of snags, and how to make hazard trees safe.

Go to http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/snags/

Good birding--

Christine Southwick
clsouthwick at q.com