[Tweeters] RBSS

Joshua Glant josh.n.glant at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 13:54:08 PDT 2015

Hello Tweets,

Just to add to the conversation, I thought I would mention my sapsucker sightings in my own yard. This spring, I was privileged to be visited by a small group of Red-breasted Sapsuckers twice in my yard! I'm lucky enough to live beside a fine forest that supports many birds not usually found in such suburban environments, like the Olive-sided Flycatcher (or two) that sing(s) from the woods all summer.

In May, I heard a special gull-like call (I forget what it means), and in early to midsummer, I heard sapsucker drumming in the forest from time to time, so they were obviously around throughout the season. I last saw one in my yard two weeks ago, near a grove of trees with trunks covered in rows of holes!

Speaking of sapsuckers, last year in mid-October there was a rare female Red-naped Sapsucker (from across the mountains) that spent a week on Promontory Point in Magnuson Park. I went to see it, but I only ever heard it call two times. And of course there was the female Red-naped Sapsucker that spent the winter slurping sap among a "slurp" of Red-breasted Sapsuckers at the Washington Arboretum in Seattle last winter! Who knows what we can expect this year? Returnees, new rarities at new spots - birding is exciting year-round, for sure!

Good birding, Joshua Glant

Mercer Island, WA

Josh.n.glant at gmail.com