[Tweeters] Possible Little Bunting at Ocean Shores

Joshua Glant josh.n.glant at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 23:41:11 PDT 2015

Hi Mrs. Wood,

Sorry for the late response, I just didn't want to forget in the morning!

WhatBird is a forum for bird identification and discussion. I'm actually an active participant, and it has helped me get to know and keep in touch with young birders across the ABA area! As you could have guessed from the last sentence, the forum covers the U.S. and Canada, but is also worldwide. Discussion forums can come from anywhere, but identification topics are posted into three separate sections: ABA area (default), United Kingdom, and finally "Europe or World" for everywhere else. The Little Bunting topic was obviously in the ABA section.

The WhatBird forum is not affiliated with eBird (it's actually the forum page for WhatBird.com, an entirely independent bird identification site created by a birder named Mitchell Waite), and it's not too similar to Tweeters. I'm not quite sure how to explain it, but I would encourage you to check it out for yourself to see what I mean! :)

Whatbird.com/forum

The URL of the Little Bunting topic itself (my account name is RavenLunatic, with my profile picture being a male Eurasian Wigeon from Green Lake in December 2014) is below:

http://www.whatbird.com/forum/index.php?/topic/142307-help-with-a-beautiful-little-bird/

Please be sure to read both pages, if you are interested! :)

Good birding (and long live Little Buntings), Joshua Glant

Mercer Island, WA

Josh.n.glant at gmail.com

> On Oct 9, 2015, at 10:36 PM, Ann Marie Wood <amw.5737 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Joshua:

> I'm not familiar with this forum. What area does it cover and is it part of EBird or similar to Tweeters?

> Thanks,

> Ann Marie Wood

> Mountlake Terrace

> Sent from my iPhone

>> On Oct 9, 2015, at 9:04 PM, Joshua Glant <josh.n.glant at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi Blair,

>> I'm a member of the forum, and I can tell you that it's a stunning bright bird! Really no mistaking it for anything else. The photographs are of decent quality, showing a bird feeding on seeds in the grass. Unfortunately, as Matt Bartels said, the finder did express a desire to keep his yard private from visiting birders, to keep twitchers from trampling his rain-soaked lawn into mush, which is understandable. I guess all we can do is be happy for the finder - what an amazing yardbird! :)

>> Good birding, Joshua Glant

>> Mercer Island, WA

>> Josh.n.glant at gmail.com

>>> On Oct 9, 2015, at 7:51 PM, Blair Bernson <blair at washingtonadvisorygroup.com> wrote:

>>> Apologies if this is a repeat. I am having trouble with email. But is expanded in any event.

>>> Per http://www.whatbird.com/forun/index.php?/topic/142307-help-with-a-beautiful-little-bird/ there may be a Little Bunting at Ocean Shores. I am not a member of the Whatbird forum and cannot open the attachments but the string of messages seems to confirm the pix of this mega-rarity. If ANYONE has further info - please share.

>>> --

>>> Blair Bernson

>>> Edmonds