[Tweeters] Peregrine attacks Short Eared Owl

Dennis Moore dennisdmoore at comcast.net
Sat Oct 10 09:24:48 PDT 2015

This is a first for me so I am posting a little delayed.

Last Sunday 10/4/15 about 11:00 am I was kayaking around Jetty Island
off of Everett. I was on the west side just north of the lagoon at high
tide so I was near the vegetation line. Two large birds approached
flying low. Obviously raptors the smaller was attacking the larger.
The smaller bird stooped twice on the larger before giving up the chase
and flying directly in front of me - a Peregrine. The face markings
were plain to my naked eye. My attention quickly turned to the other
bird. I suspected it was one of the Harriers that frequent the island -
wrong. It was a Short Eared Owl. Pale face disk and broad winged. It
flew off a short distance and landed in a brushy area. I landed the
boat and walked a short distance up a trail to find the bird sitting on
the open ground of the trail, likely winded.

In many trips to this island over all seasons I have never seen a SEOW
there. The brushy island is not the best habitat. The PEFA is also a
first at his location.

Jetty Island is an urban treasure. The City of Everett is at a
disadvantage to effectively manage this property. Scotch Broom is the
dominant vegetation. Duck hunters set up at the lagoon. This island
should be managed as the refuge it has become.

Dennis Moore
Kirkland
dennisdmoore at comcast.net