[Tweeters] Neah Bay [Clallam Co] Sunday Oct 11

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 11 20:24:14 PDT 2015

Hi Tweets -
I headed out to Neah Bay today for a bit of fall birding -- you never know what will or won't be around - several fun sightings over the course of the day:

GRASSHOPPER SPARROW - as Bruce Paige reported yesterday, a striking Grasshopper Sparrow was still hanging out in the thicket and field across from the Mini-Mart. I saw it first thing in the morning @ 8:00, and again around 3:00.

TROPICAL KINGBIRD - 2 in the afternoon, west of the Mini-Mart along the playfield

PALM WARBLER - 1 in the same place as the TRKI, working the scrub along the edge between the playfield and the beach. My only warbler of the day.

SWAMP SPARROW - one posed nicely just east of the STP.

SOOTY SHEARWATER, PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER, PARASITIC JAEGER - all out at Cape Flattery - oh yeah, other folks were more entranced by the Gray Whales spouting off out there too!

RUFFED GROUSE - roadside on the way up Bahokus Peak

NORTHERN SHRIKE - one young one along the Marina's edge, my first of the fall.

MARBLED GODWIT - 6 east of the Warm House

Throw in a couple Merlins, 50+ Black Oystercatchers and miscellaneous other birds, and all in all it was a fun day despite the long drive to and from to make it as a day trip--

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA