[Tweeters] Neah Bay Palm and Yellow Warbler, Grasshopper Sparrow and Cape Flattery Seawatch

John Gatchet jfgatchet at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 21:58:13 PDT 2015

While birding in Neah Bay today I found a PALM WARBLER in the woodlot
behind the mini-mart. The bird at one point was across from Butler Motel
and I believe it flew behind that motel. I got some very poor pictures,
but the bird is identifiable in several of the shots. I met Randy
Knapp just after seeing the Palm Warbler and he took me to the spot
where Bruce Paige found the GRASSHOPPER SPARROW. I got some good pics of
this bird as it was quite tame. I spotted a YELLOW WARBLER and it turned
very cooperative and flew to the woodlot across from the mini mart and
Randy and I both got good looks at it. It was very skittish and so no pics.

Randy spotted a MERLIN and two EVENING GROSBEAKS. I found 14 SURFBIRDS,
several DUNLIN, a MARBLED GODWIT, a lone BLACK-BELLIED PLOVE and many BLACK
TURNSTONES. There were 9 WHITE-FRONTED GEESE at the waters edge. I
saw and heard two LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER across from the transfer station in
the Waatch Valley and heard a SWAMP SPARROW in the same area. A
PEREGRINE FALCON flew over at this spot.

At Cape Flattery I began a Seawatch at 7:45 am while the light was good.
There were 100's of Shearwaters. I saw one PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER and a
white morph NORTHERN FULMAR. Thousands of birds were streaming by and it
was a good show.

John F. Gatchet
Gardiner, WA