[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 10/14/15

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 19:49:32 PDT 2015

Tweets,

Today 40 of us enjoyed an interesting walk at Nisqually. It was overcast
and chilly most of the morning with lots of dampness in the air. We had a
4.9 low tide at 1:18 PM so lots of mud in the reclamation area. Many of
the passerines are gone and wintering waterfowl are arriving.

Highlights of day included a GREAT HORNED OWL in the interior of the
boardwalk near the usual nesting sight and a SHORT-EARED OWL that flew into
the marsh near the start of the estuary boardwalk that was seen by a few
folks. It flew in from the direction of the Sound and landed in the marsh
where it remained out of sight.

Wintering waterfowl numbers have increased significantly with lots of
AMERICAN WIGEON, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, and MALLARDS leading the way. We also
saw NORTHERN PINTAIL, NORTHERN SHOVELER, a lone female RING-NECKED DUCK and
a single AMERICAN COOT. There were over 1000 CACKLING GEESE on the refuge
as well as a few GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE and a few CANADA GEESE.

We managed a three falcon day with an AMERICAN KESTRAL in the big fir tree
behind the visitor center, a MERLIN that flew across the field south of the
twin barns and 2 PEREGRINE FALCONS in the cottonwoods by the Nisqually
River overlook

For the day I had 41 species and now have 140 for the year. Mammals seen
included COYOTE and BLACK-TAILED DEER.

Until next week...

Phil Kelley
Lacey, WA