[Tweeters] Brown Booby still in Dungeness Bay

B Boekelheide bboek at olympus.net
Fri Oct 16 12:33:08 PDT 2015

Hello Tweeters

Today (10/16/15, 11:40 am) there is a first-year Brown Booby again flying around the outer part of Dungeness Bay, in the same area where we spotted one last Monday (10/12). The bird can be seen from Three Crabs with a scope, flying around the middle of the bay most of the time in the area between the Dungeness Spit lighthouse and Three Crabs. We watched it flying 0.5 to 1.5 miles offshore, over the water between the lighthouse and the end of Dungeness Spit, the exact area where it flew on Monday. It sometimes flew behind and close to the four separate pilings that stand about 1/2 mile offshore of Three Crabs to the northwest of the old pier. I showed it two a couple birders from Idaho, David and Sam, who were delighted to see it. Is it the same bird as 10/12? Who knows?

It is a first-year Brown Booby, all dark with some lightening to the underwings. If you try to see it, you’ll either need a scope, or maybe a boat ride to that part of the bay. Most of the time it’s too far for binoculars to do it justice.

There are also several wonderful feeding flocks visible in the Strait off the tip of Dungeness Spit, so it looks like a lot of forage fish are available right now in the area.

What else will El Nino bring us?

Bob Boekelheide
Dungeness