[Tweeters] Long-billed Curlew location on March Point?

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Sat Oct 17 16:07:39 PDT 2015

Yesterday afternoon I spent a couple of hours exploring (by car and a bit, by foot) March Point, mainly hoping to see the LBCU (?) previously reported this month, by Gary B (10/3), Ryan M (10/13) & Russ K (10/15) on eBird. Being an old fan of maps (remember them ? :-) I had printed out a small one from a Google Map that I found in one of these posts, with a mark on the spot that corresponded with one of these guy's GPS site that included a 48,55,29 and a lot more numbers and symbols that, to me, kinda take the romance out of a search, but then, I am not truly a rare-bird chaser, but a happenstance discoverer ! I

Anyway, I never found the curlew, BUT, if anyone still finds it or another, somewhere either in Skagit Co. or thereabouts, I, and maybe a few other GPSophobed birders, would appreciate a location description with a few more details than the GPS coordinate (like which side of the road, which pullout, other landmarks, an explanation of what a "dredge island" is, the type of habitat you found it in, or any other descriptors that aren't included in your eBird report, that you think a challenged navigator like me would appreciate), well, I would be very appreciative !!! I will include a curlew as one of my possible goals in another bird outing this fall, if possible. Otherwise, it'll be back to raptors for the winter :-) Thanks to Gary, Ryan and Russ for reporting your finds of this long-legged shorebird - they were instrumental in getting me focused a bit when I went north.

Luckily, my Skagit/Samish trip yesterday had other finds and sights that were extremely satisfying and pleasurable - descriptions and photos will appear in another post, maybe tomorrow. Oh boy !!!

Barb Deihl
barbdeihl at comcast.net