[Tweeters] American Dipper at Greenlake today

Joshua Glant josh.n.glant at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 10:49:52 PDT 2015

Back in early October 2013, a full year before I joined Tweeters and a bit before I began to use eBird, I went to Salmon Days in Issaquah with my family. This must have been October 5th/6th, though it was more likely Sunday the 6th. We had a great time looking at Sockeye Salmon swarming upstream at the Issaquah Salmon Hatchery, their red and green bodies wriggling like the shifting rapids of Issaquah Creek. Near the end of our visit, we stopped at a little bridge over the East Fork Issaquah Creek, just south of the Darigold facility along Front Street in downtown Issaquah.

As I leaned over the concrete barrier, watching the salmon swim by below, a father and his young daughter were also spectating right next to me. Suddenly the father said, "look at that cute little black bird!" I was surprised and a bit confused, and I followed his pointing finger to an earthy gray, wren-like bird, dipping up and down on a rock in the creek. It was, of course, a dipper! I watched that bird for many minutes, savoring my long-a anticipated lifer sighting of this unique bird. A bit later, I realized that this was an unusual sighting for the lowlands. This email thread has reminded me; once I find out the date, I will submit this as an incidental record on eBird, complete with photos and perhaps a video for readers' viewing pleasure!

Good birding, Joshua Glant

Mercer Island, WA

Josh.n.glant at gmail.com