[Tweeters] eBird Report - Lake Sammamish State Park, Oct 19, 2015

Sharon Cormier-Aagaard scormieraa001 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 22 13:32:23 PDT 2015

Hi Tweets,

Here's my monthly eBird report for those of you who like to follow the birds seen at Lake Sammamish State Park.

Sharon Cormier-Aagaard
Bellevue WA
scormieraa001 at hotmail.com

Lake Sammamish State Park, King, Washington, US
Oct 19, 2015 8:00 AM - 12:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
Comments: Sharon Aagaard and Stan Wood birded with 13 others at Eastside Audubon's monthly bird walk at Lake Sammamish State Park on October 19, 2015, from 8:00 am to 12:50 am. Skies were cloudy/misty till about 10 am, then remained mostly cloudy and dry; 57-60F; 3-6 mph. HIGHLIGHTS: 1 SNOW GOOSE, first reported on eBird a couple weeks ago by Ken, is remaining close by to 1 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE, and mixing in with the large flocks of CANADA & CACKLING GEESE. A very nice assortment of of water birds were close to the lake edge: GADWALL, AMERICAN WIGEON, MALLARD, NORTHERN SHOVELER, NORTHERN PINTAIL, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, CANVASBACK (male and female), LESSER SCAUP, BUFFLEHEAD & RUDY DUCK; 4 grebe species: PIED-BILLED, HORNED, RED-NECKED (an immature with stripes on its face) & WESTERN. There was also a large group of gulls at the lake edge who were bathing, preening, lounging, and sleeping: an adult HEERMANN'S GULL in non-breeding plumage, RING-BILLED, CALIFORNIA, HERRING AND GLAUCUOUS-WINGED. We saw several sightings of a MERLIN, and twice in the same sky as a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK (it stooped on the hawk a couple times!). A few people saw a single VARIED THRUSH, but all saw a perched WESTERN MEADOWLARK, and a small swirl of PINE SISKINS. 60 species for the day, 133 for the year. Critters: Eastern Gray Squirrels, a few bunnies and 3 deer as we left the park. The next bird walk is WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 18. No pre-registration, just show up depending on your mood or the weather. Since this is a state park, a Discover Pass is necessary to park ($10 daily, $30 annual). We meet in the large parking lot to the left just inside the main park entrance, now signed as the Costco Parking lot, but we meet at the far end towards the lake (not the boat launch entrance). Submitted from BirdLog NA for Android v1.9.6
60 species (+4 other taxa)

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S25508147