Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Oct 22 16:34:55 PDT 2015

Tweets – quite a nice morning, if quiet. The early morning fog made owling difficult but not impossible, and the fog was low, leaving great looks at the trio of Jupiter, Venus, and Mars gleaming in the early morning sky. Once the sun rose, it was partly sunny and really quite pleasant. Unfortunately, much of our trail (from Lake Platform to Viewing Mound) was closed for paving; meaning we had no access to half of the boardwalk, and the entire east side of the trail loop.

Highlights:

Horned Grebe In mixed flock with Westerns out on lake
Band-tailed Pigeon Sharon saw a flock; we may have seen another
Barn Owl Glimpses through the fog pre-dawn
SHORT-EARED OWL Quick flyby past Viewing Mound ~7:00 a.m.
R.-breasted Sapsucker 2 near mansion
Pileated Woodpecker 1 in Oregon Ash trees
Peregrine Falcon 1 heading south along far side of slough
NORTHERN SHRIKE First of Fall
Wh.-thr. Sparrow 1 near Dog Area portapotties
Pine Siskin 2 flocks – First of Fall

We first had a NORTHERN SHRIKE calling incessantly from atop a birch tree across the weir. The repeated call was reminiscent of a towhee call, or maybe a Gray Catbird. It must have called non-stop for at least 15 minutes. Later, we saw probably the same shrike in the Dog Meadow, and later still (and again calling non-stop) from the Viewing Mound. The last sighting was clearly a juvenile; not sure about the first. Some mewing calls pre-dawn from the Viewing Mound may also have been shrike – very unusual to have one vocal.

For the day, 56 species, despite missing Bushtit, Red-breasted Nuthatch, and Brown Creeper, and having only 1 gull and 3 species of duck.

Next week, due to the quirk in DST, we start at the outrageously late hour of 8 a.m.!

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com