[Tweeters] Magnuson Park, 30 October 2015

Scott Ramos lsr at ramoslink.info
Fri Oct 30 17:47:47 PDT 2015

The heavy overnight rains were dissipating when I arrived, with temps in the low 50s, but a strong wind, 20 mph + with much stronger gusts. Whitecaps on the lake made scoping almost useless. All the gulls on the swim platform were pointing straight into the wind and still had trouble keeping steady. By mid-morning the rain had stopped and the sun almost poked through and it warmed to almost 70. The rain held off until early afternoon; what a day! But, the inclement weather kept activity down, except for the Cedar Waxwings who could be seen flying in groups in several parts of the park. Nothing new today but a few notable sightings.

Lesser Scaup - a few with the Ring-necked Ducks and Bufflehead
Common Merganser - just 1 female, at NOAA
Cooper’s Hawk - in full chase mode, abetted by the wind, though I couldn’t see the prey
Red-tailed Hawk - circling the neighborhoods to the west, calling
Herring Gull - amid the gull throng on the platform
Barn Owl - day roost
Merlin - 1, maybe 2; second sighting was of a bird in full stoop mode with wings pulled in, must have been going at least 70 mph, perhaps much more, heading at a 30 degree angle down into the area of the Marsh Ponds; unfortunately, its trajectory took it behind vegetation so I couldn’t see the outcome
Cedar Waxwing - dozens, all in flight
Fox Sparrow - several, in one group, central meadow; one was singing: https://youtu.be/n0EQnB4C_8A <https://youtu.be/n0EQnB4C_8A>
White-throated Sparrow - one with a large group of GC and Song Sparrows, central meadow
Pine Siskin - 1 (!) flew over the south fence

For the day, 53 species.
Scott Ramos
Seattle
Magnuson Park Geography <https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zXRxfq3LHS_o.kvemGrlPu-NM&usp=sharing>