[Tweeters] A Shrike, big Siskin flocks, and American White Pelicans

Rob Conway robin_birder at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 31 00:11:55 PDT 2015

Today while driving to the grocery store I saw a Northern Shrike on blackberry vines near the Pendleton Store just off of Hwy. 14 in Washougal. He was sitting, head into the wind, and surfing on the moving branches. At my house in Camas I had two distinct flocks of 100-150 Pine Siskins buzzing around the alders, maples, a birch trees in the landscaped lots. Very loud as these flocks can be. Finally I had a flock of 15-16 American White Pelicans moving west along the north shore of the Columbia near the Steamboat Landing park. Very beautiful to watch these huge birds take to the wind with such ease...and maybe joy? Enjoying the rain and it is bringing more and more winter resident birds to my feeders and decks - the change in seasons is great!

Rob Conway
Camas, WA
45.58??N 122.44??W - elevation 310 ft.
robin_birder at hotmail.com<mailto:robin_birder at hotmail.com>