[Tweeters] Pend Oreille Spruce Grouse and a little more

Terry Little terry at crossoverchurch.info
Sat Oct 31 15:02:16 PDT 2015

Hello,

Friday was a nasty weather day to be out birding, but with limited time, I
decided to go out anyway and took my young new birding friend, Jon Pafford,
with me. Despite the weather, it turned out to be a rewarding day.

At McKenzie Slough (near Calispell Lake) there was a basic plumaged adult
BONAPARTE¹S GULL, tough bird in PO. While scoping the gull and the common
ducks, I thought I heard an American Tree Sparrow and Common Redpolls at the
house adjacent to the slough, but was unable to locate either of them. Tree
Sparows have wintered here the past two years and the feeders in the yard
often host redpolls in the winter. Maybe next time. There was an American
Dipper at Calispell Creek.

On Harvey Creek Rd (FS 1935 road to Bunchgrass Meadows), we found a SNOW
BUNTING just past mp 8, my first for this location. As we continued up the
road up to the 5,000 foot elevation (still no snow!), we were covered by
heavy clouds. Visibility was less than .1 mile. Still, just before mp 10, a
beautiful male SPRUCE GROUSE stepped right out into the middle of the road.
It flew up into a nearby fir tree, where it was nearly too dark to even see.
A little further down the road, we encountered 2 BOREAL CHICKADEES. Dark and
damp, the birds were not too cooperative, but I was surprised to even find
them in these conditions.

On the way home, with conditions improving, we stopped along the Pend
Oreille River on the Kalispell Indian Reservation at Manresa Grotto. Here we
found six more SNOW BUNTINGS. This is at least the fifth time I have had
them here in late October ­ November. They are often right along the shore.
On the river was one Horned Grebe.

Blessings
Terry Little
Mead, Wa