[Tweeters] (no subject)

Wilson Cady gorgebirds at juno.com
Sun Apr 3 09:40:52 PDT 2016

Five Vancouver Audubon members joined me for a long day of birding in the Columbia River Gorge. There were very few concentrations of birds left and only a few new arrivals were seen. Despite my accidental eBird report of magpies in Skamania County we still found a few notable birds for the day. At Skamania Landing we had the first of the year OSPREY and WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS, a few lingering GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS but the Harris Sparrow was no longer there. At the Lyle-Balch Cemetery in Klickitat County there were several pair of LEWIS'S WOODPECKERS, WESTERN BLUEBIRDS and three LESSER GOLDFINCHES. Around the red house at the intersection east of the cemetery, we saw several more LEWIS'S WOODPECKERS and one ACORN WOODPECKER. At the mouth of the Klickitat River there were mixed flock of hundreds of RING-BILLED, CALIFORNIA and GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLS on the sandbars, by scoping through this flock we spotted at least four CASPIAN TERNS. We then headed up the Dalles Mountain Road to enjoy the wildflower bloom and did see the BLACK-BILLED MAGPIES that nest there and a MERLIN, but the high winds made birding difficult. We returned to Highway 14 and went to the pull-off just past milepost 88 where we scanned the top of the cliffs until we were able to find several WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS. A stop at the boat ramp at Horsethief Lake produced a CANVASBACK and a RUDDY DUCK. Thanks go to the great group of participants and a special nod to Fran Lenski, who bought a cherry pie at the fruit stand in Bingen that we shared for lunch. Wilson Cady
Columbia River Gorge, WA