[Tweeters] More hummingbird and bushtit activity / Caryn / Wedgwood

Caryn Schutzler bluedarner1 at seanet.com
Sun Apr 3 14:09:22 PDT 2016

Hi Tweeters -

Just happened to be watching a hummer take some fluff from one of the balls and it went up into one of our backyard firs, but the sun was directly behind it so couldn't get a location on it. But then we saw another one taking fluff from the old nest which was destroyed earlier. Do you think it would be the same hummer? Was hoping it was rebuilding, but found it interesting that it was taking the material from that nest to another. But guess it could just be like any other lichen or moss on a tree. I will try to get a position of the current nest site. I know there are several building in the area since they grab some fluff and fly off to other neighboring trees, but too high to see where it's located.

The bushtits are continuing their construction - it will be fun to see how long it takes. I've been seeing it from the beginning, so will track their building time and see if they stay on budget.

Also saw the Brown Creeper again yesterday!! I would love to know if it's building somewhere nearby. I've put out some pieces of bark against the tree and have many "perfect" niches for them in the towering firs. Since they can build low to the ground, I keep looking and hoping to see if any of the crooks in the bark are being moved into.

Looking forward to some Yakima Canyon birding soon as well as some shorebirds in May!

Just hope my legs allow it!

Caryn / Wedgwood