Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Apr 7 14:23:41 PDT 2016

Tweets – Another gorgeous day which started cool and ended up simply warm and sunny. Not stupendously birdy, but a fine early spring day.

Highlights:

Cackling Goose Large flyover flock; should be heading north
Wood Duck Pair in trees in Large Cottonwood Forest again
- 10total duck species -
Cooper’s Hawk Warn juvenile near weir
- NO GULLS -
GREAT HORNED OWL Matt heard one NE of mansion, 5am – FOY
Pileated Woodpecker Seven of the last nine weeks!
PURPLE MARTIN Five seen from NE corner of lake at martin houses
Barn Swallow One over boardwalk – FOY
AMERICAN PIPIT 2 north of Viewing Mound – FOY
Western Meadowlark 3 in East Meadow
B.-headed Cowbird 3-5 in East Meadow – FOY

We’d heard that PURPLE MARTINS returned over a week ago, so I tried scanning after last week’s walk without success. Today, however, I found four males and a female, scoping from the NE corner of the lake. This is, by far, the earliest martin sightings I’ve had at Marymoor, though I confess I haven’t looked from the NE corner this early most years.

For the day, 62 species. I had two additional species yesterday (Fox and Lincoln’s Sparrows). For the year, adding GREAT HORNED OWL, PURPLE MARTIN, BARN SWALLOW, AMERICAN PIPIT, and BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD, we’ve now had 99 species.

Next week’s walk will be at 6:30 a.m., contrary to previously posted information.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com