[Tweeters] Neah Bay migration 4/7 - Swainson's Hawks, Golden Eagles

Ryan Merrill rjm284 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 21:53:06 PDT 2016

Charlie Wright and I spent the day enjoying the migration show at Neah Bay
today. We figured it would be a good day when we had a couple small
kettles of Turkey Vultures flying before the sun was even up. We spent
about 4.5 hours up on Mt. Bahokus watching the endless streams of
Red-tailed Hawks and Sharp-shinned Hawks pass by, and by day's end had seen
over 1100 raptors including 5 Golden Eagles and 5 Swainson's Hawks. In the
afternoon flock after flock of Sandhill Cranes were passing by, flying over
Hobuck Beach and the Wa'atch Valley. We only checked briefly for the
wintering Hooded Warbler without success, but it was very windy there. A
Lapland Longspur was a nice surprise and rare spring migrant at Hobuck
Beach.

Here are the highlights:

Turkey Vulture - 63
Osprey - 1
Golden Eagle - 5
Northern Harrier - 2
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 325
Cooper's Hawk - 7
Sharp-shinned/Cooper's Hawk - 4
Bald Eagle - 64
SWAINSON'S HAWK - 5
Red-tailed Hawk - 616
Sandhill Crane - 313
Caspian Tern - 1
Cliff Swallow - 1
Mountain Bluebird - 2 females Mt. Bahokus
Townsend's Solitaire - 3 Mt. Bahokus
LAPLAND LONGSPUR - 1 Hobuck Beach

Good birding,
Ryan Merrill