[Tweeters] Possible White-tailed Eagle at Fort Casey, Whidbey Island

Susan Littlefield susan.littlefield at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 15:52:19 PDT 2016

Hi tweets!

My aunt and uncle live on Whidbey Island, and my aunt recently posted a few
photos she shot at Ft. Casey of local wildlife, including shots of a couple
of eagles, At first, I thought she'd found a partially leucistic Bald
Eagle, even though the pale feathers mixed with dark really didn't look to
me like the way leucism generally manifests.

Then this afternoon, I was flipping through my Nat Geo field guide and saw
the illustration of the White-tailed Eagle. Bam. It is a dead ringer for
the adult eagle she photographed, and now I think it's possible that the
juvenile she also captured may be a Juvie White-tailed -- based on the
white feathers interspersed in the body, the heavy bill, and the shorter
tail tipped with dark feathers.

I realize this would be an extraordinary find, as we are far, far out of
their range, so I'm asking for the help of you excellent birders. I've put
my aunt's three photos into an album here: http://imgur.com/a/szBin

The first image is the juvenile; the next two are the older bird. The last
pic is definitely the best for ID purposes. Please take a look and let me
know what you think. I'd so much appreciate it!

Best,

Susan Littlefield
Renton, WA
Susan.littlefield(at)gmail.com