[Tweeters] Holy Merlin Batman!

Rob Sandelin robsan668 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 08:12:00 PDT 2016

Back on the record temperature Thursday the 7th, at duskish I was watching bats do their swirling dance between the trees. Suddenly out of the forest shadows a large raptor came streaking through the group of bats, twisting and turning obviously trying to catch one. The bats easily outmaneuvered the raptor which turned around and then perched. As it flew up to the perch I got a good look at the falcon shaped wings and its very dark overall color which I then deduced was a Merlin. The bats continued their business and the Merlin made a second high speed but futile pass among them before heading off to look for easier prey.

Rob Sandelin

Snohomish County