[Tweeters] Grays Harbor Shorebird & Nature Festival

dlmoor2 at coastaccess.com dlmoor2 at coastaccess.com
Sat Apr 16 14:55:48 PDT 2016

Hey Tweets...It's time for my annual note about this year's festival,
being held May 6-8 in Hoquiam.

First off, the Tokeland/Grayland/Westport field trip is already sold
out, but we still have seats on the bus for Friday's Ocean Shores trip.
Friday night our Keynote speaker is none other than Robert Michael Pyle,
author of several books on the butterflies of the PNW, and even more
books of poetry. If you have never heard him you are in for a treat, and
if you have...well, you KNOW you are in for a treat!

Saturday's field trip to Huynisisoos (pronounced Hoo-ni-shoo), formerly
Pt. Grenville, is about half full, as is Saturday's Ocean Shores field
trip. Lots of room for both the lecture, Shorebird Identification and
the field trip to the Sandpiper Trail at the refuge for Shorebirds for
Beginners that follows the lecture.

Topping off our Saturday is the dinner catered by O'Brien's. We no
longer have an auction but have added entertainment; this year we are
very pleased to feature Ken Bevis who will "take us on an exploration of
the varied animals and habitats of our great state through images,
stories, and original songs." Ken is a biologist for DNR's Small Forest
Landowner office, a resident of Twisp, and we are pleased he said yes to
our request to be our featured guest. You will be delightfully
entertained and educated!

Sunday we have added a new half-day field trip led by the ever-popular
Alan Rammer titled Birds, Beaks, and Bugs: What's Lurking Below the
Sands. Then the Sunday Westport field trip. Last but not least, another
new item, Hoquiam's own Dr. Dan Varland of Coastal Raptors will amaze
you with The Turkey Vulture: Love at Second Sight....not to be missed.

So whether you are looking for a field trip, a lecture, some information
on local birding on the coast, or maybe a new pair of binos or a scope
from Wild Birds Unlimited's Gig Harbor store (and festival board
member), original art, or information on the PNW natural places, come on
down to Grays Harbor. The is our 21st year of providing a look into a
great spring migration happening on the coast, and we are happy to show
it off!

Dianna Moore/Registrar