[Tweeters] Kubota Gardens oddity

Jeffrey Bryant jbryant_68 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 24 10:25:59 PDT 2016

While on a jaunt with the dog down the ravine behind Kubota Gardens, I heard a number of FOY birds:  Pacific-slope Flycatcher, Black-throated Gray Warbler, and Cassin's Vireo.  Then a loud, very unmusical and very unfamiliar call drew me into the gardens to search out the source.  Eventually  I found it in dense Portugal Laurels along the eastern maintenance road:  an apparent hybrid Golden/Lady Amherst Pheasant!  Striking male with golden crown, black throat, scarlet breast and mottled black-and-white capelet.  Not countable, of course, but, like a painted bunting, something that just seems like an artist's rendition of a fairytale until you see it with your own eyes.
jeff bryantseattlejbryant_68 AT yahoo