[Tweeters] Peregrine question

Teresa Michelsen teresa at avocetconsulting.com
Mon Aug 1 21:21:00 PDT 2016

Sooo, as I was out walking on Snoqualmie Parkway near dusk (exercising a
healing knee), I spotted a juvenile Peregrine Falcon by the side of the
path, enjoying his meal of a Band-Tailed Pigeon. He being oblivious to
folks, and foot and pet traffic being unusually absent, I got to stand not 8
feet away from him while he enjoyed his meal for quite some time, carefully
observing all his features and actions.

One odd thing that I noticed was that he was ingesting a lot of feathers -
small downy ones mostly, but clearly eating them right up when I would have
expected him to spit them out. He was standing in a large pile of feathers,
but it was the bigger ones. I couldn't see any meat attached to the ones he
was eating. Is there a reason why the falcon would eat the feathers when he
didn't have to?

Very pleased with this enjoyable event, the walk back down further rewarded
me with little bunnies, ripe blackberries, and a pink sunset over Mt. Si. If
exercising were always this much fun, I'd be in perfect shape ;D

Teresa Michelsen

Snoqualmie, WA