[Tweeters] Hoquiam Franklin's Gull

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 23:54:53 PDT 2016

Unless I missed a July post, the immature Franklin’s Gull that has been seen at the Hoquiam STPs since July 24th, was not reported to Tweeters. It had been in the pond with the pier and was seen by several birders who posted to eBird over the weekend. After seeing the Snowy Egret today, I felt like I was halfway to Hoquiam so I kept going. I spent an hour and a half sorting through all of the gulls without finding it. When I started to leave at 5:30, I drove by the bird as it was at rest along with a group of California Gulls in the gravel on the south side of the ponds. I got a fairly close shot out of the car window. It is in my eBird checklist if anyone else tries for this bird and wants a good idea of what it looks like:

It took some time to find it but patience may be rewarded. Concentrate on the south side of the ponds.

Carol Riddell
Edmonds